Building Information Modeling (BIM)
Building Information Modeling (BIM) is an all-encompassing acronym that means different things to different people. At Grunau, we’ve been using CAD software since 1985 to help lay out ductwork sheet metal in our fabrication shop. As BIM technology improved, so did our use of newer software to integrate more aspects of our business. We are now using BIM to build a virtual model of the mechanical areas in a building and then use embedded information to assist in designing, constructing, and maintaining buildings. The level of detail often includes underground utilities, above ceiling work, in-wall work, all pipe sizes, pipe and duct joints, all valves, drains and vents, insulation, hangers, code required and/or maintenance clearance zones. This Building Information Modeling technology revolves around cost and risk reductions to provide better value to our customers.
Some of the BIM tools we’ve used on various projects include:
- Model HVAC, plumbing, & fire protection projects as 3-D intelligent solids for collision detection with other trades
- Provide “sign-off” drawings prior to fabrication
- Integrated estimating with CAD
- Work with and/or create Navisworks models and run clash reports
- Create work packages for material purchase & release
- Create detailed models for “virtual mock-ups” of rooms
- Create as-built models/drawings for facilities personnel
- Spool welded piping for prefabricating in our weld shop
- Spool steel piping for cutting, grooving, and threading in our pipe shop
- Spool plumbing fixture groups for prefabrication in our plumbing shop
- Download from our CAD drawings to our plasma cutter & coil line duct fabrication equipment in our sheet metal shop
- Download points to enable layout of hangers, sleeves, and cores in walls and floors
- Measure points on projects for direct download to the model utilizing a total station device
- View/review the 3-D model with our crews to facilitate installation
- View/review the 3-D model with our customers for accessibility & maintenance assessments
Watch our BIM fly-through video on Grunau’s YouTube channel.
Building Information Modeling (BIM) Projects
Contact us today to learn more about how we can use building information modeling on your latest project.